Paul Sephton is a partner in the Finance and Corporate practice group and head of our transactional team in Asia. He advises leading onshore law firms, major international financial institutions and listed and private companies.
Before joining us, Paul worked as counsel in the finance team of Walkers’ Hong Kong office. He also worked at Allen & Overy in London before moving to Linklaters in Hong Kong. During that time, Paul undertook secondments with Barclays' legal team in London and with Standard Chartered’s leveraged finance team in Hong Kong. In his current practice, Paul specialises in debt finance advising on a range of financial products, including leveraged finance, margin lending, acquisition finance, pre-IPO finance, take-private transactions, bond issuances, convertible instruments, derivative transactions, property finance and syndicated lending.
Paul's recent experience includes:
- Advising on Studio City Company Limited’s Rule 144A/Regulation S international offering of senior secured notes due 2019 and senior secured notes due 2021, and its super senior revolving credit facility. The deal was named High Yield Deal of The Year at the IFLR Asia Awards in 2017
- Advising Deutsche Bank on its financing to Intime International Holdings Limited in relation to the joint acquisition (by way of Cayman scheme of arrangement) with Alibaba for Intime Retail (Group) Company Limited
- Advising Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Asia) Limited on the US$1 billion financing to Melco Investment Resources Limited in relation to the purchase of certain shares in Melco Crown Entertainment Limited
- Advising the joint lead managers on Yuzhou Properties’ series of High Yield Bond Offerings
- Advising CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. on its loan facility to Bain Capital Rise Education Limited
- Advising Morgan Stanley on its loan facility to Bain Capital VXI Cayman Ltd
Paul is recognised as an “Up and Coming” lawyer. He is praised for being "highly responsive and able to get deals done." "He has a wealth of knowledge of BVI, Cayman and Bermudian law and you never have to second-guess his analysis or his advice."Chambers and Partners, 2019
“Paul is very responsive and hands on, and one of the most commercial offshore lawyers in the market” and “Paul is a standout service provider. He and his team know what we need and know that delivery is the key to success for an offshore practice. He rolls his sleeves up and gets on with getting whatever you need to you as soon as possible, and is always available” states clientsIFLR 1000
Paul is “willing to go the extra mile for his clients” and is highly regarded for his “pragmatic and commercial advice”.Legal 500, 2019
- England and Wales
- British Virgin Islands
- Nottingham Law School
- Leicester (LLB)