Maggie Kwok has a broad range of experience spanning from fund formation, downstream investments, capital markets and corporate finance.
Maggie's practice has a particular focus on formation, structuring and maintenance of various types of open ended and close ended funds including hedge funds and private equity funds. She works extensively with hedge fund and private equity managers, family offices, banks, fund administrators, custodians and investors.
Maggie's fluency in the Chinese language (both Putonghua and Cantonese), familiarity with both the Western and Chinese business etiquette and culture, along with her solid training with leading onshore and offshore firms, allow her to tailor her services to meet the needs of clients in this region.
Prior to joining us in 2018, Maggie practised for several years with Ogier and subsequently with Appleby’s corporate and funds team in Hong Kong.
Some of Maggie’s recent experience includes:
- Advising a PRC investment group on the set up of a HK$1.6 billion Cayman Islands partnership fund investing into a HKSE Main Board issuer which is also a PRC joint stock company
- Advising a top alternative asset manager, a pioneer in the nascent Chinese credit market, on its various fund set ups including ones with a bond-focused strategy that feed into their master fund with an AUM of US$700 million
- Advising a leading PRC bank on the setup of a Cayman partnership with a total commitment of US$700 million which funded the purchase of a gaming company by Tencent from Softbank Group
- Advising one of the largest PRC asset managers on the set up of various investment funds as part of their Cayman SPC platform totaling an AUM of US$350 million
- Advising a Shenzhen based investment group on the set up of a US$300 million Cayman Islands partnership fund, a parallel structure to an existing RMB fund, investing into private companies
- Advising a high profile SOE on the subscription of a US$100m convertible bonds issued by a Main Board Issuer in Hong Kong
- Advising a lending bank on a US$2.3 billion swap arrangement with a leading sovereign wealth fund secured over a number of Cayman private equity and head fund interests
- Advising a government authority on its investment in various offshore funds
- Advising a leading U.S. based private equity firm on the set up of a joint venture with the asset management arm of a PRC state-owned bank
- Advising a joint venture (between a top Swiss bank and a PRC asset manager) on its set up of various investment funds with a focus the global debt securities and structured notes market
- Advising a top PRC asset manager on its set up of feeder funds investing into certain PRC exchange listed funds
- Advising a Hong Kong listed issuer on its US$110 million investment in a Cayman Islands SPC fund
- Advising a top PRC asset manager on the set up of a global listed securities fund with a China SOE as the sole investor
- Advising a leading PRC asset manager on the set up of a pre-IPO fund with asset management arm of a PRC state-owned bank as the sole investor
- Advising a leading investment bank on its maiden fund set up with a strategy focusing on non-index linked asset classes
- Advising a HKSE Main Board issuer on the set up of a Cayman Islands partnership as part of their internal reorganisation
- Advising a Hong Kong Main Board issuer on its set up of a Cayman partnership investing in PRC properties
- Advising a Hong Kong listed issuer on its set up of a wine fund
Maggie is recognised as one of the top ten offshore lawyers operating in Asia.Asian Legal Business (Offshore Client Choice List), 2018
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers, 2014
- New Zealand
- New South Wales
- Hong Kong
- England and Wales
- British Virgin Islands
- The University of Auckland (BCom/LLB Conjoint)