Jeremy is a partner in our Litigation and Insolvency Department, having joined the Harneys team in 2011. He advises on strategy and procedure relating to international commercial disputes, fraud, asset-tracing and preservation, and insolvency and restructuring, serving clients from both our London and BVI offices.
Previously, Jeremy spent eight years practicing as a chancery barrister at Enterprise Chambers in London where he remains a door tenant. At Harneys, he is a partner in our Litigation and Insolvency Department. Jeremy's advocacy experience is exemplified by his appearances in some of the BVI's most significant cases. His recent experience includes:
- Appearing as sole advocate in the BVI Court for Titan Resources Management Limited, a group company of Titan Petrochemicals Group Limited, in relation to the successful approval of a BVI scheme of arrangement for which Harneys won the Asia Transformation and Turnaround Association (ATTA) Legal Services Award.
- Advising and appearing as sole advocate successfully arguing for the termination of a court-appointed receiver’s appointment and further procuring an inter partes costs order exonerating the Defendant’s shares from the receivers’ lien which automatically came into being over those shares when the receivers were appointed. It is not thought that such a costs order has previously been made in the BVI or elsewhere.
- Appearing as junior in the Eastern Caribbean Court of Appeal on the successful Westburg Anstalt v Profitstar Anstalt appeal which led to an important reinterpretation of the CPR’s rules on service of process out of the jurisdiction and which has now been enshrined in a vital amendment to CPR rule 7.3(5). This has resulted in the door being opened to the common law enforcement of foreign judgments in the BVI.
Jeremy is a member of RISA and an overseas member of the Chancery Bar Association.
Jeremy is applauded as a tenacious and highly skilled advocate. His peers say: “When I'm up against him I have to be extremely prepared, because I know he'll take each and every point he can”, they praise his courtroom performance, and call him a “good safe pair of hands”.Chambers and Partners
Jeremy is recommended as a leading lawyer in Legal 500 where he is described as “a clever, hardworking advocate with excellent knowledge of BVI law” and commended for being “very responsive”.Legal 500
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Inns of Court School of Law (Bar Vocational Course)
- City University (LLB)
- Wadham College, University of Oxford (BA)