Jayson Wood is a partner in our Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring practice and is head of the Cayman Islands Restructuring department.
Jayson has over 25 years of experience in all aspects of corporate and insolvency litigation with particular expertise in cross-border debt restructurings of distressed companies. Prior to moving offshore in 2007, he was partner-in-charge of the dispute resolution team of Minter Ellison Lawyers (Gold Coast) in Australia.
Jayson is admitted to practise as an attorney in the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, and Bermuda. He has worked on many of the largest insolvent liquidations and restructurings of Cayman Islands and Bermuda incorporated entities (with a focus on U.S. and Asia based companies), and has appeared as lead Counsel in multiple reported decisions.
Some of his recent experience includes:
- Advising HKSE-listed PRC property development firm Kaisa Group on the restructuring of US$2.5 billion of offshore debts, in the largest judicially approved, multi-jurisdictional debt restructuring of a China-based group.
- Advising Z-Obee Holdings and its Hong Kong-appointed Joint Provisional Liquidators, on their continued efforts to restructure Hong Kong-based electronics manufacturer Max Sunny and Bermudian parent Z-Obee Holdings in relation to the non-payment of US$78 million in outstanding facilities.
- Advising on a number appraisal arbitrage valuation proceedings, including for one of the world’s biggest producers and suppliers of solar panels.
- Acting for the Bermuda provisional liquidators on the US$1.4 billion debt for equity swap restructuring of the C&J Energy group, a large supplier of services to the oil and natural gas industries in the US and Canada.
Advising L’Oréal S.A. on its acquisition by way of a scheme of arrangement of Hong Kong-listed Chinese skincare product producer Magic Holdings International Limited for US$843 million. The scheme was implemented by way of a cancellation scheme in the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands.
Jayson is a regular contributor to a number of hedge fund and insolvency publications.
Jayson has been ranked for his Cayman Dispute Resolution expertise.Chambers and Partners, 2020
Jayson is “a careful and experienced lawyer who delivers advice that is of a very high standard and reflects his vast experience as an insolvency lawyer and litigator”. Jayson is"incredibly affable and produces really intellectual, high-quality, stimulating opinions”.Chambers and Partners
Jayson is recognised as a “Leading Individual” in the Bermuda Dispute Resolution rankings.Legal 500, 2019
Jayson is recognised as an expert in asset recovery and restructuring & insolvency.Who's Who Legal, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- University of Tasmania (LLB)