Nick Hoffman leads our Cayman Islands’ Litigation, Insolvency and Restructuring practice. He advises banks, multinational corporations and financial services professionals on insolvency and restructuring, trust litigation, financial services litigation, company disputes and fraud.
He has practised in the Cayman Islands since 2011 and, prior to joining us, led the Litigation and Dispute Resolution group at another Cayman offshore law firm. He is also a highly skilled and experienced advocate, having spent more than 10 years at the London Bar.
Nick has appeared at all levels of the Cayman Court system from Grand Court to the Privy Council, as leading or junior counsel.
Some of his recent experience includes:
- Acting in Cayman proceedings for Oi S.A., in judicial reorganization (a debtor-in-possession restructuring, equivalent to Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US) in Brazil
- Acting as Cayman Islands attorneys to CNO Financial Group, two of whose subsidiaries rank amongst the largest unsecured creditors by value of the Platinum Partners Vantage Arbitrage Fund LP (Platinum Master Fund)
- Acting on a number appraisal arbitrage valuation proceedings including for one of the world’s biggest producers and suppliers of solar panels
- Acting on behalf a leading online provider of travel services with a market cap of US$26 billion in shareholder winding up proceedings
Nick is described as "very bright, very able, very determined and persistent."Chambers and Partners
Nick is recognised as a “Leading Individual” in the Cayman Islands Dispute Resolution rankings.Legal 500, 2019
- England and Wales (not practising)
- Cayman Islands
- University of Sussex – (MA and BA, Hons)